Posted by: Mick | 2011-09-27

Hi can u pls clarify: is it possible to pick up the HIV virus by using a toothbrush that was used by someone who is HIV positive? What happened was the person who is HIV+ mistakenly used my toothbrush and then a few hours later I used the same brush without realizing this. How long can the virus last on a toothbrush? Should I be concerned?Thanks.

The HIV virus present in saliva and the toothpaste will surely kill the virus. The virus is only viable for a couple of minutes outside the body. A fairly large amount of blood is needed and you would have noticed this for sure. The chances of you getting HIV by sharing a toothbrush is nothing to worry about.

Posted by: XXX | 2011-09-28

Only if there was blood on the toothbrush and if you had a openwound in your mouth, but the chances are very dim that you can pick up aids from that.

Reply to XXX