Question
Posted by: Emba | 2010-05-06

Infection

I have had a vaginal infection for very long (since my first pregnancy about 4 years ago). There is yellowish discharge and smells bad to me (like a sour bum who hasn''t taken bath for months). When taking antibiotics it goes away but recurs approx 2 weeks after the antibioticsis finished. Also took pill once with husband to check if it is something that we are ''sharing''- strong, made us nausious and you can not have alcohol 24hrs after. Have tried many over-the-counter products as well but as soon as I stop it returns. Dr once said it might be something picked up in public bathroom. Was also checked for cancer and it came back negative. I don''t travel often (public bathrooms) and I am now embarrased to keep going back and is hoping for a ''boere-raat'' or any other advice that I could try please.

Hallo Emba
Did they do a gram stain of the discharge - is it bacterial vaginosis? ( not a fungal infection?) The vagina should be self cleansing and have a living colony of healthy bacteria (Lactobacillus). Using a lot of antibiotics, douches, deodorizing sprays or antiseptics in the bathwater etc can kill the normal good bacteria and cause infection of the vagina.
http://www.medicinenet.com/bacterial_vaginosis/article.htm
Try taking inteflora 3 times a day long term, and if you have a foul smelling discharge try Betadine douche twice daily for 7 days if you are not allergic to Iodene, but after that you should try not to rinse the vagina or use douches as the normal bacteria should be given time grow back. See a gyne if this does not help?
I suggest that you and your partner both wash the genitals with soap and water before having sex to prevent bacterial contamination just to be safe.

2
Posted by: M | 2010-05-06

Try gynaegaurd, its a pill form, but the pamflet inside will explain everything, i used it last year and since then, never had a smelly yelowish discharge again.

Reply to M
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-05-06

Hallo Emba

Reply to cyberdoc