Question
Posted by: Ouma | 2008/09/17

Infection

Doc,

Hi I am lady who just turned 30 this year, I have a terrible bladder infection that doesnt seem to respond to antibiotics,mam I started to be sexually active at 28 and in 2006 sometime in august I stated having uti' s after sleeping with my boyfirend,then it just become worst i did all types of test, std profiles negative,hiv negative recently I have done IVP,as my doctor could not fiqure out whats wrong, but what I could say since I had the bladder infection I terminated the relation I am scared of thinking of a relationship or sex as even today I am not yet okay, I am struggling with urine that doesnt get discharged from my bladder it causes me pain. Please advise on what to do.

There are a number of possible reasons, including resistance to the antibiotics used (bacteria may become resistant to certain anti-biotics, rendering them ineffective) or that you are chronically inflamed rather than infected. You could discuss alternative medications with your GP (e.g. alternative antibiotics, or perhaps something which might reduce inflamation), or even try herbal / natural remedies (but I'm not sure what the evidence base for this is - google this and see what you think.

Now that you have stopped having sex, try the doctors again and try to clear the infection without sex. It is understandable that you might be afraid to have sex again, but when you do, make sure you use a condom, and urinate soon after penetration to 'wee out' any normal bacteria from the vagina/rectal area which may have migrated into the urethra and bladder.