infected toe nail

My right nail is infected. Under the nail a soft powdery substance forms. This has bween happening for more than 2 years. I have seen a skin specialist. He indicated to me that it was a fungal infection and prescribed a 3 month course of tablets. I also used Trosyd nail paint on the toe. I have finished more than 4 bottles of trosyd nail paint but theinfection is still there. There is no pain but the toe nail has discoloured and is fragile. What can I do?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anonymous

The best way to get rid of this infection is to use both a topical and a systemic medication.

The tablets to take would be either Sporanox or Lamisil, the best topical nail preparation is Loceryl. You will need a prescription for the tablets, the Nail paint is availble over the counter.