Posted by: Mes | 2008-12-11

Infant nutrition

Hi, I have 7 month old, who wihs approx 7kgs, and who is gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, milk allergic and soya allergic. Because of this he is not on breast milk or formula (he even reacted to the hyperallergenic formula). Please can you tell me what sort of quantites and calories who should be getting in fruit/veg/cereal/protein etc. He drinks rooibos tea, black quarter teasoon sugar in 250ml, rice milk (plain or vamilla), and diluted pure fruit juice. He isn' t a keen eater.

Dear Mes
Your son is not underweight despite his multiple allergies and lack of appetite. Because of his multiple allergies which exclude practically all processed foods, I would strongly urge you to consult clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with food selection now and in future. The dietitian will assess what quantities of the permitted foods he should eat and also recommend supplements if these should prove necessary. To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: .