Question
Posted by: Val | 2011/07/08

Infant circumcision

Sho, so yesterday me and hubby were doing a birth plan and he wanted to me to include that our son be circumcised after birth and I refused as I have read some articles on infact circumcision and I honestly wouldn''t want to put my baby through that kinda of a pain I mean above is just some quotes i extracted from one of the articles:

Some mothers and nurses who contacted the Circumcision Resource Center also noted behavior changes. Sally Hughes, an obstetrical nurse who has seen many circumcised infants before they go home, reported,

When you lay them on their stomachs they scream. When their diaper is wet they scream. Normally, they don’ t scream if their diaper is wet. Baby boys who are not circumcised do not scream like that. The circumcised babies are more irritable, and they nurse poorly.

Mothers reported that their infants changed temperament after the circumcision, cried for extended periods at home, and seemed inconsolable.

Researchers at Children’ s Hospital in Boston noted changes in sleep patterns, activity level, irritability, and mother-infant interaction. They concluded,

The persistence of specific behavioral changes after circumcision in neonates implies the presence of memory. In the short term, these behavioral changes may disrupt the adaptation of newborn infants to their postnatal environment, the development of parent-infant bonding, and feeding schedules

Al says he feels am deniying him the rights to have a say on his sons life, but am not willing to put my child through that at such a young age, I mean he can always get circumcised at a later stage which am sure won''t hurt as much. Am i being unreasonable and unfair to his dad?

This is not really a Gynae issue. You might consult a paediatrician if you wish.

1