Question
Posted by: Bee | 2010-08-05

Inducing labour

Dear Doc

My baby is due in about 2 months. I want to have a vaginal delivery. Problem is that my gynae is going on leave, and wants to do a caeser on her last day at work, which is about a week before my due date. She says that there are no guarantees that baby will come before that naturally, and I must prepare myself for the caeser.

Is it not possible to rather induce labour on her last day at work? Why the need for a caeser? I am confused.

Please help!

I don't know why your doctor doesn't want to induce labour. You would have to discuss it with her.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-08-08

Posted by: Purple | 2010-08-05

If she can''t give a medical reason for a c-section, then she is just doing it for her convenience.

Inducing doesn''t always work as if your cervix is not ready, you won''t go into labour whether they use gel, break your waters or use pitocin. If they induce you and it doesn''t work they will do a c-section anyway. If baby''s head is not engaged it isn''t going to work eithre. These are probably the reasons why she doesn''t want to induce you.

I suggest you find another gynae more open to doing a natural birth (they are hard to find though, as most will tell you all is well for a natural birth and then when you are in labour and very impressionalbe, do things like make you lie down on your back which makes labour take longer and makes it more painful, then tell you you aren''t dilating fast enough - which is caused by lying on your back and the head not pressing down on the cervix to allow it to efface eventlly, and that baby will go into distress so you need a c-section).

You''re likely to go into labour anywhere between week 38 and week 40, if it is week 41, they will induce you. Surely she has a partner or locum who will handle her practice in her absence and if you go into labour while she is away they can handle the birth.

If you desperately want a natural birth, find a hospital that allows private midwives and have a midwife birth. Unless there is an actual medical reason for a c-section you''ll then have a natural birth. If there is a medical reason or emergency, the midwife will have a back up gynae who will be brought in to do a c-section. This is also a much cheaper option as midwives charge less than gynaes. Most medical aids pay for mid wife births in hospital.

Its difficult to get in with another gynae so late in your pregnancy, but if you explain your situation, you might find one who is willing. Ask at your ante-natal classes which gynaes do natural births and they should be able to give you one or two names per area.

Reply to Purple