Question
Posted by: Ann | 2010-07-07

Indoor exercise equipment

Hi FitnessDoc
I started consulting a biokineticist a couple of months ago, but because of illness I was forced to stop for a while and have not yet been back! I asked him to suggest some indoor exercises I could do at home at night, taking into consideration my osteo-arthritis and extreme unfitness and weakness. I am 52 years old, and have never managed to exercise for more than 3 months on a couple of occasions in my life. I am 1.77m, weigh 68kg, and have had sedentary jobs all my life.

After a careful assessment of my level of (un)fitness, one of his recommendations to me was to walk 5 times a week for 10-30 minutes. Unfortunately I usually get home too late to go out walking, and would prefer to do some form of indoor aerobic activity.

Please could you recommend a not too expensive exercise machine of some sort (by name, if possible), for example, a stepper or strider that I could use in front of the tv for 20 minutes every day, just to get my heart rate up and my blood pumping before or after I do the prescribed exercises.

Incidentally, I had been doing the exercises for about 4 weeks when I had to stop, so I have to start again from rock bottom. If you get the impression that I do not enjoy exercising, you would be correct. It''s just that I am aware I need to preserve my health against old age while I still have the time!

Thanks very much for your advice,
Ann

Hi Ann

Difficult one - can you afford to get a treadmill? Would you have the space for one? That would be the best bet, because it's also a 'platform' for you to launch into a summer routine of maybe walking outside, even if it's only on weekends when you have more time. SO a treadmill is the most functional, and Sportsmans Warehouses sell them.

This would allow you to start implementing the biokineticist's recommendations but won't shut off your options down the line. If you got a strider or some other device, the concern is that you'd get bored with it and never be able to progress to being outside, even if it's only in summer.

Final point - it's really helpful if you can find someone to join you. Exercise is tough, especially at first, but if you do it together, then you and a friend can motivate one another and really go a long way to making sure you succeed!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-07-16

Hi Ann

Reply to fitnessdoc