Posted by: Michelle | 2009-07-17

indoor cycling

I do 45 minutes of stationery cycling 3 - 4 times a week. I do 20kg in 45 minutes and keep it light and fast. Now I hear that cycling give you big legs and bums?

Hi Michelle

No, I don't think at that level. For elite cyclists, perhaps, because they spend hours a day riding. Even there, "big" is relative - they develop toned and muscular legs, but only if they have the genes to do so. If you watch the Tour de France currently underway, you'll see that some of the pros have big legs, others are really skinny. They all ride maybe 25 hours a week, but look completely different - that's genetics. So it's not guaranteed, no hard and fast rules, rather just see what happens. But the volume of riding you're doing would not cause massive bulking.