Posted by: NN | 2009-01-12

Dear CS - Welcome back!! hope you' ve had a wonderful festive season, and that you found some rest for your weary bones  -)

I' ve got a problem that i don' t quite know how to address.

In a nutshell - my darling mother phoned my BOSS and told her AAALLL about my psychiatric history (depression, suicide attempts, anorexia, bulimia, cutting....the LOT!!)

I only found that out this morning when a colleague told me that on Friday, our boss called her in for a confidential talk - about me and the quality of my work AND my psych ' problems'  (most of them is not affecting me anymore in any case).

As I sit here typing, I' m absolutely FURIOUS at my mom for doing this! If she were in the same town as I as, i would' ve driven to her RIGHT NOW and had it out with her. As it is, I really really want to phone her and ask her WHAT she was thinking  in fact, IF she was thinking AT ALL!!
She could cause me to lose my freaking JOB!

please help, i cannot concentrate on anything bu this, i' m so so angry

Hardly wonderful, in the circumstances, but restful at times, and a chance to bond with the new cat.
What on EARTH was your mother thinking of ? A gross breach of your right to privacy, and hardly likely to be helpful. Mind you, as I understand the law, your boss is not allowed to discriminate against you on the groudns of any illness ro health problems you may have. Of course you're angry -- you have every right to feel furious. Presumably in some daft way she thought this could be help[ful to you, though its hard to understand how she worked that out. Maybe you need to arange to speak about this with your boss, and make sure that they discuss this with you ( as I think he is required to do ) rather than to accept and use private information improperly disclosed to them. And at least tell your mom that unless and until she can develop better judgement, you'll be cautious about sharing any more personal information with her