Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-08-13

Increased water consumption dangerous?

Should the amount of water intake be increased during supplementation? I read that large amounts of water can be dangerous and flush all the important minerals from your body. I currently drink about 4 litres of water a day due to the fact that I take creatine everyday. Should I drop my water consumption rate even though I read that water consumption should be increased when using creatine?

Dear Increased Water Consumption
This is indeed a poser. On the one hand it is true that you can cause 'water intoxication' and electrolyte imbalances by drinking too much water (i.e. in excess of 2,5 litres of liquid a day). On the other hand the fact that you are taking creatine may require a higher water intake. The most logical solution would be to stop taking creatine if you are not a top athlete (?) and to stick to drinking 2,5 litres of liquid in total per day. Try to at least reduce your total liquid intake to 3 litres per day if you continue to use the creatine.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-08-14

Dear Increased Water Consumption