Posted by: Mikey | 2009-07-12

Increase sperm count &  health

Hi, i am a 31 yr old male.

Please can you advise me on the best natural ways of increasing my sperm health, count and motility?

I have, over the years, been using marijuana and alcohol, however i am in the process of quiting these two bad habits!
I am committed to adjusting my health and lifestyle for i am in constant fear of passing on ' ' bad gene' s' '  to my child.

I am engaged to be married by mid 2010 and would like to start a family asap.
Please can you advise me accordingly....

Thanking you in advance.

Dear Mikey

Certainly the use of both substances mentioned should be discontinued as soon as possible. In addition I would suggest a routine sperm analysis be done to evaluate the extent of sperm abnormalities and to use this as a baseline to assess the success of interventive measures. The wearing of tight jeans or underwear, excessive hot baths or saunas and other lifestyle factors such as excess caffeine may all contribute negatively to sperm parameters and should be best avoided. In selected cases the use of supplements containing selenium and other trace elements may be of value. One should also not expect an immediate improvement in sperm parameters, as sperm production is a slow process requiring, in some cases more than 3 months to show significant improvement.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim