Posted by: bernie | 2009-01-19

increase fluid on the brain

Would like to know some thing I had a historetomi en of May last year and got home and had to go back to hospital as i got presure on the brain. The doc that treated me does not know what coused it but had to have lumber punches every 3 weeks. What else can I do. Becaues I realy do not like the lumber punches and I can feel that the presure is back. PLEASE HELP

Dear Bernie
When they did the hysterectomy - did you have a spinal anaestetic ( like the lumbar puncture) or a full anaesthetic? If you had a full anaestetic, the pressure on the brain is probably unrelated to the hysterectomy and you need to see a neurologist for a full examination, brainscan and decision whether you need a valve put in to drain the fluid from the brain to prevent buildup of pressure. It is not good to get LP's so often, as it is a risk to get meningitis, and I am not sure why you weren't referred to a neurologist? If you are with one, it may be that he wants to wait and see if this clears up by itself but you should ask him what the plan of action will be?