Question
Posted by: Karen | 2010-12-07

Incontinence

Just as background –  I’ ve had 1 successful pregnancy, 1 miscarriage and had a hysterectomy 2 years ago due to a non-malignant tumor on my womb. I will be 40 next year and I have Rheumatoid Arthritus (I was diagnosed in 2006). I use the following medication for the RA –  Arava, Methotrexate, Lyrica, Arcoxian and Salazopyrine.

I don’ t drink, have never smoked and do my best to follow a healthy diet. Lately I have a sudden urge to urinate and I have been unable to control the urge to urinate and it results in the leaking of the urine. I do not sit and wait until I cannot hold it anymore –  I will be working on my computer and then have a sudden urge and I am unable to control the urge. I do not have leaking of urine when I cough or laugh, only when I get the sudden urge to urinate.

What could the cause be of this incontinence and what can I do about it? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you have irritable bladder syndrome, where your bladder muscles are hypersensitive to small amounts of urine. There are medications which can be prescribed for this. Your gynaecologist will be able to help you.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-12-11

Posted by: Purple | 2010-12-07

Do you do regular pelvic floor excercises? I doubt this would be caused by weak muscles though as it wouldn''t have started all of a sudden then, but it might help with being able to hold it in for a rush to the toilet as the urge strikes.

Perhaps you should visit a urologist?

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Celia | 2010-12-07

I have heard of your bladder dropping after a hysterectomy. I wonder if it is not that?

Reply to Celia