Question
Posted by: thandiswa | 2009/11/12

Incommunity of Property

Hi all please advise

I am getting married in December, we bought a house together, and are staying with 2 daughters from my husband to be previous relationship. We now have a query on whether to get married in community of property or not, he said its a must because we bought the house together. I want to get out because I saw something which I dont want him to be aware of. I saw the copy of a will he has appointed his sister to share everything on his behalf when he is dead. The other thing is that management of finance he said he would like me to manage house finance, we once tried guess what, what I saw is that what ever is needed even simple things he would need me to give the money without counting and when it is finished he askes why? the other thing I told him that I cannot because he is also maintaining outside this is going to be a very big problem because we are quering over this the daughter is 23 have a son but he is still paying maintainance, he said he will never get rid of her but will keep on supporting until she or he dies. Is this fair, please advice.

As I am not a lawyer, I hope other readers, from their own experience, can give you some useful advice on this one.
My impression is that you should be very careful about marrying in community o property if unsure of what will happen, and if he might arrange to leave a share of what you BOTH have, get and earn, to someone else rather than to your children. DO consult a lawyer and make absolutely sure of what suits you best, before signing anything. It sounds very un-promising - why must he continue for his whole life supoporting a daughter who is adult and should be looking after herself ?

1