Posted by: Celeste | 2010-11-05

I had to have several neck op''s over the last couple of years (2 of which I had while working for my current company). Then I developed septecemia in my hip where the donor area was for the bone removal to be laced in my neck. As a result of this I have been off sick for quite a long time and had to go on unpaid sick leave. I still experience problems with my neck and might need another neck operation in the near future. When I came back from sick leave the previous time, I was told that if I needed to be hospitilised again for either my neck or my hip, I will be sent for a medical incapacity hearing. Can this be done even though I will still be capable of doing my work once I return after the 6 weeks recovery time?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Hi Celeste, good management is to manage the employees absenteeism. Being away from work,even for valid reason , can be labelled as Incapacity. Simply the contract requires one to be at work. At the time of the Incapacity Hearing you will have the opportunity to voice your opinion. Even if you are away for a valid reason, if it is deemed too be excessive it can be called Incapacity,with a worst case scenario of loss of one`s job.

Posted by: imidgifulge | 2011-02-27

Reply to imidgifulge