Posted by: Sarien | 2009-04-16

Inactive SLE

In 2008 I was diagnosed with SLE and have been on treatment consisting of Prednisone and plasmaquine. I am now off the steroids and are only taking the plasmaquine daily. My doctor sent me for blood tests and the results came back that my lupus has gone inactive.
What exactly does this mean?
Is there chance of the lupus becoming active again?

Dear Sarien
SLE is an autoimmune disease and can go into remission (peroids that it is inactive) however, it can flare up again. Lupus tends to be chronic and relapsing, and symptom-free periods can last for years. Flare-ups can be triggered by sun exposure, infection, surgery, or pregnancy. Flare-ups occur less often after menopause. Even though you have no symptoms it is wise to go for regular check ups of the kidneys ( blood and urine tests) as kidney damage can happen even if you do not have symptoms.