Posted by: P | 2009-01-26

in the right direction

I think maybe I am being a bit hasty and worried I am not losing anything, and maybe I should give it more time. I have been eating healthier and exercising for the last 3.5wks now. I have lost some centimentres, but have not been able to weigh myself. The difference is not really noticeable.

I am 28 yrs old, weigh 67kg and am 1.65m tall. My problem area is mainly my stomach and my large waist measurements put me in high risk area for insulin resistance and diabetes. My main downfall is white bread, starchy food / baked things. I have cut all of this out and have noticed my IBS has almost compleetely disappeared.

Today I have eaten:
07h30 half cup muesli with fat free yoghurt
11am apple
1pm lunch was toasted rye bread with little bit of low fat mozzarella &  tomato paste plus a small salad
15h00 another fat free yoghurt
17h30 -18h00 supper will be stirfry chicken breasts with brown rice &  stirfried veg

I drink about 1.5l water a day on average, cut out sugar in tea and coffee (have 2 cups a day), use fat free or low fat milk rather than the full cream I was using before, I cut out margerine, mayo etc, rather I use fat free cottage cheese, am using canola oil now instead of other oil and only eat low GI bread instead of white bread.

I try to stationery cycle for 30min every night but on average only manage to do it about 3 times a week.

Am I on the right track? I hear others saying they lose between 500g-1kg a week!!
Must I just be patient and will the weight start coming off soon?
I have been following a low GI and low fat diet using the heath24 articles and counters and I am finding it very easy to stick to eating like this rather than strict ' dieting'  and I am not hungry all the time. This is the longest I have been able to stick at a healthy eating plan and I am quite proud of myself and enjoying it. I just wish I could see a difference in fitting into my clothes.

Dear P
I too am proud of you that you are being so sensible and eating such a balanced, low-fat diet instead of going in for all kinds of fads or starving yourself. You are already noticing major improvements in your health (the reduction in IBS) and weight (the fact that you are losing cm). Stick to your sensible diet and try to do your exercise every day if possible (difficult, but worthwhile) and when next you weigh yourself you will find that you are losing weight steadily. If you can, try to also do some exercises that specifically target the stomach, like situps. Your present BMI = 24,6 which is already within the normal range. For an ideal BMI of 22 you would need to weigh 60 kg, thus a loss of 7 kg which will occur over time. Your are definitely on the right track and you will reap the rewards. You also have proof that fat loss is mirrored in cm losses, not just changes in kgs. That is why I always recommend that slimmers should monitor their vital statistics, not just their weight.
Keep up the good work and be patient.

Posted by: lolo | 2009-02-07

i am a 27year old mother, before i had a baby i was the sexiest girl in town and now my tummy is flabby a have no time to excercise let alone that we do not have a gym center in our town. i would love to go back to atleast size 34 because now i am 40, i have been size 30 all my life. i need the good eating plan. someone told me i am gaining wait because of my family planning injections

Reply to lolo