Posted by: Red | 2009-07-16

In the new - bullying

I don' t know if you have read articles or have heard about the terrible bullying that has been taking place in boys schools in Johannesburg. What has happened to humanity? It is disgusting to read the thing these bullies are doing to boys their own age.
Where on earth do boys get ideas to do such things to another human being. CS I don' t want to mention it all but it is really terrible. What are your thoughts about bullying? Except this bullying is so inhumane!!!! So so terrible.

I'm not sure whether anything particular has happened to humanity --- boys schools have always been sites for bullying, and it needs wise and careful leadership from headmaster and teachers to limit this. Ever read the classic book of the 1800's, Tom Brown's Schooldays ? Or watched the great film IF ? Children of both sexes are distressingly able to be cruel to each other, when the opportunity presents itself, and especially where a school culture encourages it, directly or indirectly, and where victims feeel scaed of too ashamed to report what is happening. Indeed, it is awful, and schools need to play a planned and active role in teaching kids not to bully and not to be bullied. It cannot simply be ignored in the hope that it'll go away --- it won't.