Posted by: Shelby | 2008-11-04

In the air?

Hi there,

Am not sure if I am on the right chatline.

My husband has bad post nasal drip. I think he may have an allergy and think it may be pollution. We live near a national paper mill and they emit sulphur.

Where does one go to have an allergy test?

I have heard you can have a test where they make small cuts into your forearm and then put in different allergens.

Thank you.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Your husband's post-nansal drip may well be caused by an allergy, but there are many possible triggers and you are correct that the best course of action is to consult your doctor about an allergy skin-prick test, which is similar to what you describe - tiny amounts of allergen are inserted under the skin to see if there is a reaction.

Air pollution may be a contributing factor. I don't know if emissions of sulphur compounds have ever been linked to postnasal drip per se, but they have been linked to other respiratory tract problems - as well as other symptoms like headache.