Posted by: Mandy | 2009-06-08

In Such Pain :-(

Hi Doctor,

I' m an adult female in my late 20' s and I have been experiencing chronic fatigue and pain for the last 8 months. To give you more information on my pain, I feel pain in my lower back and upper back, moreso on my upper back where the pain extends all the way along my chest and ribs. When I sneeze it hurts and if I stretch my posture back (e.g. not slouch) it hurts too. My neck has pain and is tender and I suffer from migranes. I also am very tender by my elbows and by my ribs and behind my neck. I have suffered with IBS for ten years already and my stomach hurts all the time. I also find that my legs get sore when I sleep and that I have to move them to get some relief. I am tired all the time, no matter how much sleep I get it doesn' t help. I get chest pains alot of the time. I had an ECG done a couple months back and all was fine with my heart.

Someone mentioned that I may have Fybromylgia and that I should see a Doctor. What is this condition? Is it dangerous? Do you think there is a possibility based on my symptoms that I have this?

Thanks so much and be blessed.

Dear Mandy
The symptoms you have are suggestive of fibromyalgia. A rheumatologist will be able to confirm the diagnosis. You may need to take a low dose of Tryptanol at night (10mg) to restore your sleeping pattern as this can aggravate the symptoms.