Question
Posted by: Maria | 2012/04/15

In praise of medication

At lunchtime today my daughter saw something interesting on the underside of a tomato sauce bottle and turned it upside down to investigate. Unfortunately she had already taken the top off, causing a flood of tomato sauce in her plate. Three months ago I would have exploded into a rage... today I laughed. Sometimes you can do talk therapy and try your hardest but until you sort out the chemical side of things your efforts will be in vain. And if, like me, the first and second and third etc. combination of meds you try don''t work too well then persevere because when you hit the sweet spot of the the right meds life becomes immeasurably better. I''m not saying you shouldn''t go for counselling, it has helped me a great deal and I''m a mature psychology student. Just understand that for some people it''s not enough.

Congratulations on choosing to laugh - by far the most helpful response in the circumstances ! I'm sure most folks benefit from a combination, as you describe it ; and when you respond so well, its not always easy to be sure what worked, rather than just reconizing wisely that somehing did indeed work well
Many happy returns of the tomato sauce !

2
Posted by: Liza | 2012/04/16

100% true. I battled for years to get the right medication combo but when I finally did - WOW. The difference is like night and day. I''ve almost forgotten what it feels like to be on that emotional rollercoaster!

Reply to Liza