Question
Posted by: anony_miss | 2009-08-17

in limbo

Hi CyberShrink
i' d like a little advice, please. A couple of months ago my husband asked me for a divorce. We since then have decided to be separated until the end of the year and then we will make a decision. Logically i understand that this is probably the most reasonable thing to do, but emotionally i' m a mess.
i really feel stuck, progress would either be moving on or fixing our marital problems, but i don' t feel confident to make a decision yet. He is also not ready.
i' d just like to know if maybe i should take an anti-depressant in the interim. i think that i might simply be " down"  as a result of the stress of the situation, but i do feel i should be realistic about my mental health at the moment and i feel that my mood is also affecting my work. i don' t want to be hooked on meds for the rest of my life and i' m really nervous of side-effects as well.
advice would be appreciated.
thanx

If you wish to proceed in this way, personal counselling for you could help you to be in a better state to make a wise decision at the end of the separation. And who not consider mariage counselling ? Not as a glue to force you together, but so you can each make a wiser decision,and if you decide to continue and part, to be in a better position to avoid similar mistakes in future.
Antidepressanrts probably would not help. The treat the chemical aspects of a real major depression. YOu are in a sad situation, in which not to feel sad would be odd. Counselling would help to resolve the sadness more productively. You wouldn't get hooked on such meds for life, but they may be a poorer way of resolving this situation than counselling, especially of the CBT variety