Question
Posted by: Jasmin | 2012-02-01

In-laws smothering me

Hi all,

Do you think it is unreasonable to say no to family engagements now and again, especially if you went on holiday with the in-laws and saw them every weekend after that?

It feels like my in-laws are overdoing it and smothering me, but my husband doesn’ t want to say no to his family.

I don’ t expect him to say no, just an excuse sometimes, not all the time.

It feels like they are being pushed down my throat. Am I unreasonable for feeling this way?

Thank you.

Yes. Some families can inded be rather smothering, and cant understand why any member could ever want to spend time with anyone else, or on their own. You're not being at all unreasonable, and need to discuss this tactfully with your huband. In fact one usually enjoys time with such people much more when it isn't too frequent -- there's more to talk about.

1
Posted by: Jasmin | 2012-02-02

Hi Dear

Let me share a secret, my step kids drive me up the wall. So to avoid a visit from them, I plan things with my parents or friends or drinks with work colleagues - then when hubby mentions the kids are coming for the weekend, I have a valid excuse so that they can delay the visit with another week or so.

Dont get me wrong, I believe that these kids should spend time with their father, but sometimes the bio mother takes advantage of this setup

PS: I have scheduled lecture classes for saturdays (this whole year) so you can imagine........ :-)

Reply to Jasmin