Question
Posted by: Skye | 2011/04/11

In DESPERATE need of a hormone expert

Dear Doc
Are there doctors in SA specializing in hormonal disfuctions? I am desperate as I have tried every possible diet on the planet and even had a dietician (very rude) tell me that according to my food diary, I should have been dead from anorexia a long time ago already. I literally eat like a bird IF I actually eat but am 40 kilos overweight and it seems the less I eat, the more weight I gain. There is nothing wrong with my thyroid and I drink 2 litres of water every day. Many years ago I was forced to have an abortion as there was something wrong with the fetus. The hospital neglected to give me any medication to stop milk production. I was 14 weeks pregnant. Since then I have had a weight problem. I must add this happened 20 years ago and if I lightly squeeze my nipples, a milky substance still appears. Is it possible my body still believes it is pregnant - even after all these years? I struggle with a lot of hair on the chin which has me even more convinced my hormones have been my problem all along. I do have PCOS as well. I need to find someone who specializes in hormone testing and who might possible give me some answers. IS there someone out there that can help!!?? I

Thers are a number of endocrinologists in the country who deal with hormone problems. However, I am not sure that this is what you need. With PCOS, weight gain is a problem and may be treated with a low GI diet and Metformin. It is also not a good way to lose weight by starving yourself. this actually has the opposite effect as your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat.
You should have your prolactin leevels checked if you are seceting milk. A gynaecologist would deal with all of these issues.

1