Question
Posted by: Tina | 2009-09-28

In debt &  stressing (reply to All who answered my posting)

Yes, I was under debt counselling and it did not help. You have to have a reasonable amount to pay back and I could not even afford an amount that would touch the interest so the debt counselling failed. Yes, it was done properly and they did their best but advised me to try and go insolvent (I have no assets left anyway).

Thank you I will try and contact the UNISA Law Department for assistance.

I am just wondering what they can attach - I have my elderly mom staying with me and our possessions are hers actually but she is my financial dependent. It is so stressful for her and she is not well as a result.

Yes, I do know about how recklessly credit was extended.

But, you know, it sounds so good on paper - try doing it in real life!!!

The thing is that if you have debt you have debt - they don'  t really care how it came about i.e. if you landed in the mess because of the wrongdoing of an ex or whatever led to it. So much for extenuating circumstances.

I do not want the creditors to be done out of money, but my circumstances are such that I literally am a "  man of straw"  .

Beats me why you have to pay to go insolvent.

And yes fighting them off is difficult and stressful. But, I am going to fight for my rights.

Thank you all for the advice and help

Yup, I think "extenuating circumstances" may help if it's a question of aoiding jail for crime, but not ecomonmically. Check on insolvency / bankruptcy --- it's supposed to be able to help.