Question
Posted by: eric | 2011-05-09

imsomnia

My wife suffers from anxiety attacts and endless tiredness since she had an operation. I now realise that the imsonia and tiredness is starting catch me too. We sleep in separate rooms to try and not disturb each other at night. I have a demanding job and need 8 hrs sleep, which we never get. Is there a short-term action we can take to break this vicious circle? I am thinking in terms of medication from a doctor.

Anxiety can be related to both chemical and psychological aspects of past surgery. Most medication offered to promote sleep has a possibility of producing dependency, so caution is wise. But as in most problems, the start to finding the best solution is an expert analysis / assessment and identification of the essence of the problem. A psychiatrist could help. Many of those who promote themselves as some sort of sleep Expert are essentially self-qualified, as this is not a recognized specialty with particular training or qualifications. Peaceful reading, milky drinks, non-stuffy bedroom air, relief of any post-op pain, treat exercise like coffee / tea / cola - not after 4 pm if you have sleep problems, etc.
And as Maria emphasizes, if your wife has anxiety problems, these always disturb sleep, and should be properly assessed and treated, with possible medication and surely counselling.
"Coffee" ( which otherwise keeps you awake especially if taken after around 4 pm !) gives sound advice.

4
Posted by: Maria | 2011-05-09

Is your wife being treated for the anxiety attacks? Either with medication and / or with talk therapy? It won''t help her to just try and fix the night time issue. She must talk to her doc.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Coffee | 2011-05-09

Hi Eric,

Try to read before you go to sleep and a hot milky drink. Push all thoughts out of your head as is they are pop up adverts on your computer screen, just delete them. Exercise is also good. If you must take muti, try herbal tablets. I bought some at Clicks and did all of the above and get about 5 hours of sleep now, from about 2 hours. I am not a fan of heavy sleeping tablets, as I believe you can become addicted to them and then your problem will be worse. Hope this helps.

Reply to Coffee
Posted by: Romany | 2011-05-09

I think you are going t be advised to post your question the " Sleep expert" 
However, for what its worth.... I am never able to sleep if my hubby is not in the bed....

Reply to Romany