Posted by: C | 2009-03-20

Improving balance

I am 40 and on a journey of self-improvement (don' t laugh, very serious). I recently discovered that I have a balance problem (never realised this as I probably stood on one leg the last time when I was a child).
Can you give me some ideas/exercises to improve my balance (my left hand side much worse than the right). I have been practising to stand on my left leg increasing the time every week, but as soon as I combine this activity with another, eg kicking with the right leg, I am completely off balance.

Practice makes perfect, and you can practice by doing what you're already doing, until you're competent at it. THen you can grade it and make it progressively more and more difficult by adding these other activities. However, to go straight from balance to adding a kick movement is probably too much. Start by balancing, then try balancing with your eyes closed, then balance on a cushion or softer mat, then do this with the eyes closed, and so forth.

Maybe the next step is to add arm movements, touching your hand to your head etc., before you try to add leg movements. But there are no shortcuts - you're already doing the right thing, you just have to keep it going.

Good luck!