Question
Posted by: Nads | 2008/08/19

Improve - Getting Pregnant

I would like to get more info / advise on to improve the chances in falling pregnant. I'  ve been on the pill for almost 12 years and last month both myself and my fiance descided that I will stop using the pill and we'  ll try for a baby. My Fiance had scarlet fever when he was about 19 / 20 (he'  s now 29) and he'  s a bit worried that he will not be "  that"  fertile after being ill with scarlet fever. But I'  ve told him that we'  ll try first and see and if after a year we couldn'  t conceive, we will have us both tested. But what I wanted to know what can I do from my side to improve my fertility? We are dreaming of conceiving twins as on my side of the family have the gene'  s to be able to conceive twins. But it would make as very proud even if we conceive just one bundle of joy. So how can we improve our chances. I did start taking folic acid tablets, but what else can be done? Please advise.

Dear Nads

Initially I would recommend that you use simple ovulation monitoring kits each month to time intercourse more carefully. If after 4-5 months there is no conception and you are extremely keen on multiple pregnancy, then low dose fertility tablets can be used under the supervision of a medical practitioner. This should still be combined with ovulation monitoring and timed intercourse. To speed matters up further you could ask your husband to have his sperm analysed at any laboratory or any fertility centre.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Zan | 2009/02/02

I was on the pill for 7 years and I stopped using it 2 years ago, my boyfriend and I want to have a baby, I went to my gynae and he said my womb is tint, he prescibed some fertility pills for me. Should I be worried, where can I get info on falling pregnant etc.

Reply to Zan
Posted by: Nads | 2008/08/21

Thank you Dr Cassim

I will try the ovulation monitoring kit and see what happens, thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it. Will keep you posted.

Reply to Nads