Question
Posted by: Ledwaba | 2012/03/28

Impregnating an HIV- when taking ARV

Is it possible that a healthy HIV+ man on ART can have a normal baby with an HIV- woman?! I happen to be HIV+ and my wife is HIV- so we want to have a baby naturaly but scared of maybe the baby can be otherwise or unhealthy so, is there any chance of having a normal baby?

Please if you have a negative thing to say, just spare the pain and not comment. Thanks in advance

I'm afraid natural conception will put both your HIV- wife and the foetus at risk of contracting HIV. You may be aware that ARVs can reduce your viral load, but safe sex practices are still essential to protect your wife. There are options for you to have your own biological child - a process called sperm washing, but I understand that this is very expensive and am not sure where this is currently available relative to where you live - you need to check this with your health care provider. The other option would be to consider using donated sperm...
Check out the following website: I'd like to refer you to the following website.

http://aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/staying-healthy-with-hiv-aids/friends-and-family/having-children/

Claire - SASHA

3
Posted by: mmas | 2012/03/29

Yes is possible naturally ledwaba ask ure Dr about it.You can try if ure varal load is undectactable and when ure wife is on ovulation period then she can be put on PEP.Yr wife can give birth to a healthy baby and she cant be infected if she can follow the Dr orders .All this precedures that are mentioned here can de very costy

and please for more infomation post ure question in HIV Peer forum the peers will advise u because most couples experience the same problem

Reply to mmas

Even while on ARVs you run the risk of spreading the infection.

As far as I''m aware sperm washing has been the only known way to safely concieve with an HIV+ man and I have no idea whether it is already a common procedure or still experimental.

With sperm washing the sperms are seperated from the seminal fluid ( HIV is carried in seminal fluid not by the sperms) and then they are used in a IUI or IVF.

IUI/IVF are expensive procedures and can fail and of course none of this is natural conception, but I thought I would mention it, if you are serious about having a baby it might be worth asking a specialists'' about it.

Posted by: Sexologist | 2012/03/28

Claire - SASHA

Reply to Sexologist