Posted by: Claire | 2009-05-05

Impotent? Or just stress? HELP

We have a slight problem, and I was wondering whether I should be concerned. My husband is 23 years old, and although he normally gets an erection while we are together, he sometimes struggles to, or dont at all. This however only happens now and again. It never bothered since I thought it can be because he is stressed, because he has his own business, or due to tiredness. He is having the flu at the moment and it happened again. We are trying for a baby, so this is a problem for me since having a baby means you first need an erection. As I said, he does get an erectio most of the time. He has also never had a sex drive like other men, he is fine with sex once a week. Does all this sounds normal? Is there a hormone problem or what? Ive asked a married friend if this happens to her husband, and she replied no never. I' m concerned.
Your answer is much awaited.

Dear Claire

It is very much possible that your husband has a stress related erectile dysfunction. If however it does not pose much of a problem to either of you then I do not think you should worry too much. As you have mentioned that most of the time he does get an erection but occasionally he doesn’t so this will not necessarily impose a problem with the ability to conceive. If however a year goes by and you have still not achieved a pregnancy then it maybe advisable for him to be assessed by a urologist to ascertain if all is okay from his side.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo