Question
Posted by: Shawn | 2010/04/22

Importing canaries

Hi Doc,

I am planning on importing about 24 Fife canaries from the UK, being a novice at this attempt, I am trying to ascertain exactly what it entails and costs - the latter seems to be coming in slowly, but I am at a loss for information when it comes to regulations and testing etc.

Please could you help me?
1) What tests are mandatory for the birds when they arrive in South Africa and how much do these cost? I am told that they need to be quarantined for 30 days and that two tests are done one for Avian flu and the other is a blood sample - dont know exactly what is tested. I cannot imagine a blood test being done on a canary, surely they only have like tsp of blood?
2) Some people tell me that a quarter of the consigment is tested and others that every bird in the consigment is tested. Can you please provide some clarity on this.
3) Can you recommend a vet that would be able to assist me with these tests and formalities once they arrive in SA?

Thanks for your time,
Shawn

Dear Shawn

Best to contact the state vet in your area, I have not imported birds before.

1
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/29

Dear Shawn

Reply to Cybervet