Question
Posted by: Marcie | 2008/07/01

Implants/mouth condition

Dear Doctor, My problem is rather a strange one, ....but i am needing help rather urgently & had a very peculiar reaction from the Maximillo facial surgeoon that was to do the surgery. Some years ago I had teeth surgucally removed. From that time onwards, I developed a situation in my mouth where the skin would peel off in my mouth./ side of my cheeks.. first only in the area of the gum where the tooth was removed... This happens now all over my mouth.... [ I have excellent tooth /mouth hygiene (Even stopped using listerine mouthwash to see if that was the cause... it was not. ) What has now developed is {as best i can describe it} IF I could see it visably on my skin, i would imagine it would be an excema type condition..have areas inside my mouth that feel rough... but to the visable eye, cant see anything.... NOW my problem and dilemma. In the past there were teeth that were removed that should never have been removed. (over years) I am now in a situation where i need about 7 implants and a sinus lift. Before I went into the whole issue of finding funds for this very expensive procedure (with a risk of implants failing I was told) I asked the question (of the MM surgeon) regarding this condition in my mouth that comes and goes..AND..... would it affect the implants and the surgery? I was told about cavitations/and having incompatable products in ones mouth...and mentioned that... as I had never heard of that before......(My bite guard fior a fact causes the skin peeling to be aggravate!!!) The root treated tooth that i have flares up from time to time and the gum gets extremel;y swollen. I floss and rinse and really take care of my teeth. The problem that now exists is that i only have an incisor tooth and 2 teeth at the bottom to chew on.... and the incisor is root treated!!! . I posed a very simple and what i thought normal question to the Maximillo facial surgeon who has previously removed teeth... and I was astounded at his attitude. I received a curt email from him stating that in the light of my questions he felt i was not a candidate for implants. !!!!! This has really perplexed me and has left me with a rather serios problem as i need to have somewhere in my mouth to chew!!!! (I had plates made and cannot tolerate them.... I manage for an hour or two and then have to remove them. I certainly am not a person who goes off on a tangent or who finds sensational material on the internet!!!!
I live in Durban. and I would really appreciate your comment as I really dont know which way to turn now! Could you give me some kind of info or direction? Or perhaps refer me to someone who could help me? In appreciation, Marcelle

Expert ImageProsthodontist

Dear Marcie

Thank you for your kind query regarding your extremely challenging situation. The first step would be a diagnosis of why your “skin is peeling off in your mouth”. The best person to help us here could possibly be a periodontist, as these clinicians also specialize in Oral Medicine conditions. Please contact the South African Dental Association for contact details for a periodontist for you. Once the cause has been established, I suggest that you talk with your Maxillo-Facial and Oral Surgeon, as well as a prosthodontist to plan the way forward. Hopefully implants can be used to replace your missing teeth and as such restore your lost function, given your inability to adjust to dentures.

Kind regards