Posted by: Cybafaerie | 2009-01-06

Is Implanon available in SA yet?
What are it' s costs?
Does the medical aids cover it?

not available as far as I know - check with your pharmacist

Posted by: Bozo | 2009-01-07

Implanon, made by Organon International, is a single-rod contraceptive subdermal implant that is inserted just under the skin of a woman' s upper arm. The 4 cm by 2 mm Implanon rod contains 68 milligrams of the gonane progestin etonogestrel which is released over a three year period.

Peak serum etonogestrel concentrations have been found to reach 781– 894 pg/mL in the first few weeks, gradually decreasing to 192– 261 pg/mL after 1 year, 154– 194 pg/mL after 2 years, and 156– 177 pg/mL after 3 years, maintaining ovulation suppression and contraceptive efficacy.[1] Implanon may be removed at any time, but must be removed after three years.

Implanon was first approved for use in Indonesia in 1998, was subsequently approved for use in over 30 other countries, and has been used by over 2.5 million women worldwide. Implanon was approved for use in the United States by the FDA on July 17, 2006.

Reply to Bozo
Posted by: Sex Pot | 2009-01-06

Hi there  plse excuse my ignorance but what is it? Never heard of it but the word sounds rather binteresting.

Reply to Sex Pot