Question
Posted by: belinda | 2008/09/22

Impetigo

Hi doc

I have developed Impetigo in my face. I have started an antibiotic called Curam, 1000mg twice a day and I put bactroban on. Can you tell me how long it will be before I see a change. It is so unsightly and painful as it is around my mouth and eyes.

Do I leave the scabs on?

PS: I got the infection form a burnwound on my hand that got infected that you urged me to rather see my GP about - that I put off for financial reasons.

Belinda

Hi Belinda
It usually takes about a week if you drink your antibiotics regularly. You can remove the scabs by softening it with warm water and gently wiping away the parts that loosen - don't pick at it if it is stuck as this will cause unsightly marks on your face.