Question
Posted by: adam | 2010/04/07

Impact of Fat on running Speed

hi

I am 1.73m tall. I have a scrumhalf built but carrying some tummy at the moment.My weight is 90kg.body fat around 25%.

when I look at my friends'' who are the same height, they are obviously faster than me.they weigh around 70kgs but much smaller body structure.

what impact does that have on my speed?
if I reduced mass, how much quicker could I get, realistically speaking?

I have broad shoulders as I trained with weights before.

Hi Adam

Fat affects speed quite a lot, because it's mass you are carrying that doesn't help you run. So when you run, you have to exert force and if you exert that force against a heavier mass, it accelerates more slowly, and that's why you'll run slower.

So losing fat almost always helps one run faster.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/04/30

Hi Adam

Reply to fitnessdoc