Posted by: Anon | 2009-05-13

Immune to probiotics?

I use probiotics everyday for my spastic colon and to help with my lactose intolerance. If I don' t take it I get bad tummy issues. Could I ever become immune probiotics?

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi, no you can’t become immune to probiotics. Probiotics are live bacteria that live naturally in your gut. A healthy gut flora is needed for proper functioning of the gut. They are not drugs, your body has them naturally.

I was told by my chiropractor that YES you can become immune to a particular type of bacteria in a particular brand of probiotics because your body builds up resistance. For that reason you should switch your probiotics occasionally, use different types of bacteria and different brands. If your body becomes resistant to one probiotic bacteria it will not work as effectively in relieving your symptoms.