Posted by: Moey | 2008-11-06

Immune Boost

Hey Doc.
I" m twenty two years and have a low immune system. I HATE taking vitamins cause I just can' t swallow those ginormous horse pills...YUCK.

Could you suggest a well balanced daily diet for me, that would enable me to get all the nutrients without having to pop pills. I' m about 1,52 and weigh about 43 kilograms so no problems with my weight.

Dear Moey
Your present BMI = 18,6 which is very low and could be contributing to your lack of immunity. To have an ideal BMI of 22 you would need to weigh 50 kg. I would like to suggest that you increase your weight. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. If you find that you cannot swallow large vitamin and mineral tablets, you can always use the fizzy ones instead like Berocca or Supradyn Forte.