Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2012-07-21

Immigration option but confused

I have two daughters who are married and living in the USA. Their father passed away and I remarried when they left school. The USA immigration laws will allow myself to enter to country to live permanently on a family visa, but not my husband as he is their stepfather.
We have been entering the Green Card Lottery and lo and behold my husband has been chosen to receive a green card! We are now submitting documents and will be able to leave mid next year.
My dilema is that I have a 74 year old mother living in Gauteng. She lives in a retirement village which is safe and is across the road from a shopping centre with a library two blocks down, so it is very convenient for her.
I now want to move to the USA to be able to see my daughters and my future grandchildren, but feel guilty about leaving my mother.
I am driving myself crazy as I cannot decide what to do. If we dont go, I feel terrible as we have a once off chance to enter the USA. If we do go I feel terrible as I will be leaving my mom behind. Do you have any thoughts on this. I would really appreciate it.
Debbie

Life not infrequently presents us with such dilemmas. There is no obvious and totally easy and right answer, and much depends on the views of all involved and on what each of you most values. The lottery result is presumably a rare and special opportunity that won't be available beyond a certain point. Will you be able to afford ri re-visit SA fairly often to visit your mother ? When you settle in the USA, will it be possible to arrange a visa for her to live in a similar home there ? What does your mother think about these possibilities ?

1