immigration nightmares....

i have two dogs that i had to leave behind for a year when i went overseas last year. i left them at a "  kennel"  where they got to live in the house of the kennel owner and run around as though at home. they were very happy for the year and apparently showed no signs of missing me ( as per my vet). i was back with them for 3 months and have left them behind again as i have emigrated and had to wait 3 months before they can fly to join me. i am going to get them in a few weeks and they' ll be here with me for 3 months before i have to leave them yet again for 3 months, in order to avoid quarantine they' ll be in france for a period. i have found a vet nurse who looks after dogs and will "  adopt"  my guys for the time that they need in france and then i' ll come and get them to go to the UK. I am just a bit worried that all of this change will be a problem for them. in the time that i have them with me in france i' ll be travelling a lot for work. once they get to the UK all of the travel is over and we' ll be settled. do you think all of these changes will have an adverse effect? my theory is that as long as they are loved and fed they should be fine, until they' re allowed into the' s certainly better than quarantine ! i thought it best to introduce them to the vet nurse when i am around so they are familiar with her when they stay with her when i travel for work so it' s not unfamiliar when i leave them. am i being neurotic...i think i might just be :)

Dear Anon

All you need is a good friend who will sit and listen to your story, however long it may take. Once you have aired all your thoughts and idees you will know what to do.

Anonymous, I would like to get in touch with you regarding how you went about getting your pets to the UK. Could you please mail me at as-immigration at vodamail dot co dot za to chat. I am in the process of getting my move sorted and next step is organising my doggie.

thanks dragonfly. i agree families abandoning pets is aweful, but i can say for sure that this is a massive and VERY costly experience so not everyone can do it. here' s to hoping all goes well :)

Posted by: Dragonfly | 2009-05-14

I' m not an expert, but I' m pretty sure the dogs will be okay. I just want to commend you on all you are doing for your dogs. It breaks my heart when people simply pack up and leave and the dogs/cats are sold off like the rest of the property.
Well done.

Reply to Dragonfly

...thanks for the reply.. :) I have chatted to most of my buddies and we' re all "  dog people"  so we' d rather die than farm our pets out to strangers just because it has suddenly become a bit difficult to handle the pets. so I guess my question is this, in your experience, with pets that have been well adjusted and happy pets, when undergoing moves of this magnitude, do they end up worse off than being sent to a new home?