Question
Posted by: Sylvia | 2011/04/08

Im vegetarian, but keep on gaining weight is there some do''s and Donts?

Hi, I have been a vegetarian for 10 years but for the past 4 years i keep on gaining weight, are there some specific foods that i sould eat and shouldnt eat?

Dear Sylvia
Any foods and any kind of diet can cause weight gain if the energy content thereof is higher than the amount of energy you require on a daily basis. In general you can reduce your energy intake by cutting down on the amount of fat you eat (e.g. oils, nuts, margarine, high-fat cheeses). I don't know what type of vegetarian diet you use, but if you are including fats then reduce the amount you use by half (don't cut fats out all together, because we still need fats in the diet even if we are trying to lose weight). Fats have a high energy content of 37 kJ per gram. In addition have slightly smaller portions of all the other foods you eat. Both these measures should reduce your energy intake. Combine this with an increase in exercise (e.g. going for brisk walks every day for 30 min) to promote weightloss. If you find that you are not losing weight on this regimen after 3-4 weeks, then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup just to determine if you don't perhaps have a hormone imbalance or some other physical reason why you are gaining weight.
I hope that these simple measures will help you to reduce your weight.

2
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/04/08

Hi There

I have recently become vegetarian and know now that starch can make up a huge part of your daily food if you are not careful.

What do you eat on a daily basis? Dont you want to post here so we can get an idea what you consume?

I eat rye bread instead of whole wheat and brown rice instead of pasta. Lots of vegetables focusing on the green ones. Not more then 2 fruit a day.

I would say avoid white flour starch and Refined foods.

Reply to Kasandra

Dear Sylvia