Posted by: Obsessed | 2009-09-01

Im suprised , please help Doc

Hi Doc , I was surfing this site and I came across this health blogger and what she said suprised me . She said No Spinach , Weetbix , butternut , carrots , bread if you are trying to lose weight .Im trying to lose weight and I eat the above mentioned .That felt like a slap on my face .Why do you think she said that ?Should I stop eating them ?

Dear Obessed
I cannot understand the logic of what the health blogger says because the foods she lists are totally unrelated and I cannot see the relationship between them and weightloss. Spinach contains practically no energy so you can eat it in large quantities. Weetbix and bread can be part of a low-fat diet to ensure that you obtain sufficient fibre and B vitamins and the carrots and butternut as vegetables rich in beta-carotene can be eaten on any diet in portions of half a cup of cooked veg. So you can certainly stick to eating all these foods and still lose weight.
Forget the blogger and eat your sliming diet if it works for you.

Posted by: Y | 2009-09-02

The blogger you are talking about are probably obsessed herself - with the Glycaemic Index (beter known as the GI index). Al the foods you mention score high on the GI index ( a measure of how fast and how high a food makes ones blood sugar levels rise).

However, while Weetbix and ordinary bread also have a high available carbohydrate content, the spinach, butternut and carrots do not. (When you combine GI index with available carbohydrate content in some formula you get another index - the Glycaemic Load or GL index). This is a better indicator of whether or not a food will help with or inhibit weightloss.

Ordinary bread and Wheatbix score high on the GL index, but spinach, carrots and butternut do not. And if you choose breads that are labelled low-GI, you' ll also get a bread with a relatively lower GL score. So I would say to loose weight, replace ordinary bread with Low-GI bread (I know they are a bit more expensive), replace the wheatbix with for example All-bran flakes (which score lower on the GI and GL indexes), but keep on enjoying carrots, spinach and butternut -there is nothing wrong with them.

Reply to Y