Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2011/12/02

I''m devastated

Hi Diet Doc. I''ve just done a Discovery Health check up and it worked out my age as 40... I''m 27. It takes BMI, cholesterol, glucose and lots more into consideration. Obviously I know I''m overweight, but I honestly thought I was healthy overall... obviously not. This has motivated me and has given me a HUGE wake-up call. I wanted to ask you - where can one go for tests that show what foods are " not right"  for you? What sort of tests are they? Sometimes I wake up in the morning and it looks like I''m pregnant, other times my stomach looks " flat" . It must come down to what I''m eating and specific items that just don''t agre with me. I really need help and am feeling quite devastated after all this... Thanks

Dear Lucy
While it is good that you have been given a wake-up call by doing this test, please don't start panicking and resort to all kinds of fad diets and diet pills and potions. First and foremost relax because stress produces hormones that can make your conditions worse. From your description, I suspect that you may suffer from irritable bowel syndrom (IBS). As a first step, please have a medical examination and ask the dr to check for IBS or other digestive problems that could be causing your bloating (e.g. ulcers, gallbladder disease, food intolerances and allergies, enzyme deficiencies to name but a few). If you do have IBS then two of the most important factors are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet & Nutrition’ at the top of this page, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. Read the articles on ‘Probiotics’ too because the use of ‘good microorganisms’ can help a lot in IBS. Try Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a registered dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out an IBS diet prescription for you that also helps with weightloss and lowers cholesterol. Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications when you go for the checkup. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension and if you need to lose weight then the walking will help to stimulate your metabolism and promote weightloss.

1

Dear Lucy