Posted by: New Mama | 2009-09-01

Im Big

I am a new mom of 2months baby I weight 87kg and am 1.87m tall. With this hight I can ot afford to be big or even to change wardrobe when going back to work in a months time. I am breastfeeding but know that I am not eating well as I am obsessed with my weight. What can I eat as I am ignorant on counting caloties or carbs even when purchasing groceries. Help me

Dear New Mama
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Your present BMI = 24,9 which is just still within the normal range (18-25). Your ideal weight would be 77 kg which would give you a BMI of 22. However breastfeeding your baby is the most important gift you can give your child which will have a positive effect on his/her health for the rest of his/her life (including preventing the child from developing obesity in later life!), so please make sure that you are eating a well balanced diet and not cutting out all kinds of important foods that the two of you need right now. You can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), which does not require calorie counting. Because you are breastfeeding please add 2 extra servings of fat-free milk, yoghurt or maas to the diet to ensure that you and baby obtain sufficient calcium (you require 1300 mg of calcium a day right now). To lose weight and firm up after the birth it also helps to do regular exercise. Put baby on your back and go for a brisk walk for 30 min a day, the fresh air will do you both good and help you to regain your figure.
Enjoy the baby!