Question
Posted by: Karen | 2010/04/22

Ilness after baby

After my baby was born I had 5 months maternity leave during which neither me or my baby were ill once. Since being back at work (now 4 months back at work) I have been ill almost constantly with either colds and flu or more serious Bronchitis. My baby is also ill a lot which I can probably contribute to being in a creche. Could any nutritional change benefit me at this point?

Dear Karen
Unfortunately infants and young children tend to pick up every infection that is going at creches and from other children. This is due to the fact that their immune systems are still building up immunity. The problem is that the baby then also infects you. I would suggest that you take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn Forte for a month to see if this improves your resistance. Ask the chemist for an infant vitamin and mineral supplement for your child such as Vydalin which you can also give him or her for a month or so. Do not exceed the prescribed doses esp for the child. Luckily young children do build up their resistance over time and this endless round of colds does stop when they get older.
Hang in there

1

Dear Karen
Hang in there