Posted by: Shelley | 2008-11-21

Illness makes panic worse

I recently had gastritis - runny tummy and fever I dont mind but this time it was accompanied by nausea and vomiting. I ended up on a drip 2 days out of the 3 days I was off work - I am back at work today. I am hoping that returning to normal routine will get my mind off of it.

I noticed extreme panic as soon as I felt the nausea coming on, then directly after vomiting I would shake uncomtrollably and the whole time I was on the drip I would shake - I got waves of panic and fear running through me and I was unable to sleep for longer than 20 minutes at a time.

I believe that what should have been a 24hr bug turned into a 3 day bug because of it - at least it was only 3 days this time - when I first got gastritis with vomiting it was close on 2 years ago and I was sick for a full month - on a drip 2 days a week and lost 10 kilos.

How can I control my panic and stop it from prolonging this? Its only a problem when I have nausea. How do I know if it is the panic causing the nausea and vomiting or if it is in fact the virus still in my system?

Aprt from the unavoidable components of any symptoms, we vary widely in how we respond to them. Some symptoms, especially if associated in our minds with previous very nasty experiences of illness, upset us far more. Your panic could amplify nausea arising for any reason, make it upset you more, and perhaps even prolong it somewhat. As to the virus or whatever caused it, only your gp or treating doctor, who has the whole picture, could advise you on that