Question
Posted by: Maria | 2009-08-13

Iliaden

My mom has been using Iliaden nasal spray every evening for a couple of weeks now. She says that her nose closes up completely in the late afternoon and if she doesn' t use the Iliaden she cannot sleep as she cannot breathe. My understanding is that one shouldn' t use Iliaden for more than 5 days? How can she wean herself off it?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Maria - Yes, Iliadin should not be used for more than 5-7 days as it may WORSEN (and cause) congestion if used for longer. She need to stop the iliadin for at least 7-14 days. In the meantime I'd suggest letting her use Iliadin SALINE, which is a salt solution.