Posted by: vidi | 2009-01-12

ifv, and HIV

Good day docs.
I 1st want to say Im and HIV+ female , 27years old my husband in negative. I underwent IVF(tubal blockage) in november which was unsuccessfull( period arrived 7days after ET )..Im on Arv'  s (aluvia /Lamzid), and want to know whether there is a link between HIV and Infertilty and are there any cases where it was proven that IVf failed due to maybe the females status or arv'  s.
Im planning on doing another IVf next year and really want to know whether there is any case study done on this regard.

Dear Vidi

In our experience the HIV status per say is not linked negatively to the success of IVF treatment. However the use of ARVs has not been clearly defined with respect to implantation failure and embryopathy and therefore I cannot categorically confirm or deny this. In our clinical practice we stop all ARV treatment shortly before embryo transfer and will not use ARVs in the first trimester of pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim

Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-12

Hi Vidi

There is NO link between HIV and infertility.....even women who are not HIV+ have failed IVF cycles...don' t give up - keep trying.

If you' re not already log onto www dot aidsmeds dot com. Everyone there is + and there' s a forum esp for women and it covers issues like this as there are a number of them trying to have babies.