Posted by: Hannah | 2008-11-05

Identity of maternal grandfather

Please can you advise on how to go about finding the identity of my maternal grandfather. My grandmother wasn' t married to him and she went to her grave without revealing his identity. My dad doesn' t know who he is or even his name and have tried over the years to find out his identity but to no avail. This was never revealed to him. We have asked family members, but no one seems to know. It' s important for me to know his identity and also who his family is. Please help.

I understand that you would LIKE to know --- but if everyone who actually knew him is now dead, and they never told anyone --- you won't be able to find out. What does your mother's birth certificate say about her father's name ? Home Affairs ought to be able to advise on how to find a copy of that certificate.