Question
Posted by: nit my ID | 2011/09/28

identity

Is it possible to ''adopt'' an identity that isn''t really your authentic self and perform acts to continue to ''reinforce'' this identity. Such as say(example), ''adopting'' a very religious identity(because it ''works'' better with the way you see yourself, ''cause an alternative ID may show you your ''true'' colors, that you may not like much) and preach to others and yourself, carry bibles around with you etc etc. How do you understand this? Almost like performing only ''identity'' strengthening activities, to prevent slipping into your authentic self''s identity! Hope i bring this across properly. Thanks

I suppose actors do this often, though usually not for more than a couple of hours at a time ( though in a long-running play, this could endure for months. But I'm not sure I follow your useful example. Arfe you saying someone who has no sense of actual personal religious identity ( his true colours ) doesn't like being someone lacking in faith, so he pretends to have a faith, because he prefers being such a person, either to himself or as seen by others ? Mind you, people who choose, for whatever reason, to preach at others, are rarely popular or welcome. Would you carry the bible so you could see and appreciate yourself doing it, or because you imagine other people will think more of you when they notice this ?
Or would the prop mainly be there to remind you of who you are pretending to be ? ( Truth is hard enough to remember, lies and falsehoods, which this assumed persona would be ) are much harder to remember and get consistent.
Overall, I think the time and effort would be far more usefully and enjoyably spent seeing a skilled psychotherapist / counsellor, to learn to like your own actual personality, and to enjoy being authentically you.

1